I welcome each of you to the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dr. Fred Dierksen; I am your new superintendent and I am excited to be here. You may find it interesting that I was married in Dodge City (30 years ago); all five of my children were born at the Western Plains Regional Hospital; and my wife graduated from DC3. I definitely know where I am and want to be here! I truly look forward to serving USD 443 and want you to know more than anything, I care about kids.
Following is general information which all students and their families need to be aware:
- Enrollment Day - All returning students should report to their respective schools to complete the enrollment process, pay fees, etc. Incoming kindergartners and other students new to the school district, who have not already completed their registration at First Stop Enrollment Center, should go to First Stop any time between now and August 3rd to register.
- Instructional Materials Fees for all students should be paid at the time of enrollment on August 3rd. This year’s fees for all students in Grades K-5 are $30.00; Grades 6-8 are $40.00; and Grades 9-12 are $55.00. Payments may be made in cash, by personal check, or by credit/debit card at each school on the day of enrollment.
- The First Day of Classes is Monday, August 21st for all K-12 students. Since the start and end times for the various schools differ due to school bus schedules, please check for your school’s start and end times on Enrollment Day (August 3rd or on the school district’s website at usd443.org).
- All-District Calendars were mailed to all USD 443 postal patrons in early July. Contact the Public Information Office (371-1023) if you would like additional copies. Be sure to check the school district’s web site at usd443.org for updates to the district calendar.
- Online Payment for Student Meals and Instructional Materials Fees is being made available again this year through the school district’s Family Access portal in the Internet. Family Access currently allows parents to check on their child’s attendance, grades, discipline, etc., online. If you are not currently using Family Access, contact your school office for more information about signing up.
- A District App, including a Text Messaging Service, is available for both Apple and Android devices to help keep parents and students informed regarding school activities and/or emergencies, such as school closings, schedule changes, etc. Search for “Dodge City Public Schools” in the iTunes Store or on Google Play.
Looking forward to a great school year
Dr. Fred Dierksen, Superintendent of Schools
Central Administration Building
1000 N 2nd Ave
Dodge City, KS 67801-4415
PO Box 460
Dodge City, KS 67801-0460
Secretary to the Superintendent
Tami Knedler, Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education
Dr. Glenn Fortmayer, Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Education
Dr. Ramona Nance, Executive Director of Human Resources
William Hammond, Executive Director of Business Operations
Ray Wipf, Executive Director of Management Information Services