Substitute Teacher Information
Welcome to substitute teaching at Dodge City Public Schools. The first expectation of all substitute teachers is that they will teach. As such, substitute teachers are expected to maintain a professional attitude toward their work and to always keep in mind the school district’s goals. As a substitute teacher in our district, you are expected to familiarize yourself with the Substitute Handbook and all other district manuals, policies, and procedures that will govern your employment in our district.
Substitute Work Day
Schools have various starting times and substitutes are required to be in the building at least 30 minutes prior to the start of school and remain approximately 30 minutes after school is dismissed. In general, a full day is defined as working from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., including a duty free 30-minute lunch. Arriving approximately 1/2 hour before students at the beginning of the instructional day will allow substitute teachers to familiarize themselves with lesson plans and other duties, assignments, and events for the day
Daily Salary Rates
Substitute teachers are paid on the same monthly schedule as regular school district employees. Paychecks are mailed to the substitute teacher’s home unless arrangements have been made for direct deposit. The substitute pay voucher must be in to the Payroll Office at 1000 Second Avenue by the 5th of each month.
$100.00 per day for 1 - 10 days at the same assignment
$125.00 per day for 11 - 60 days at the same assignment
$197.95 per day* for 61 or more days at the same assignment
The position of Substitute Teacher requires possession of a valid Kansas Standard Substitute License, Emergency Substitute License or other appropriate credential as determined by the Kansas State Department of Education Licensure Department. It is your responsibility to ensure that a current valid license is on file in our Human Resources Department.
Renewing your Substitute License
- Register on the Kansas Department of Education online web access site.
- During the registration process, you will enter requested information, including a log-in and password. You will need to remember your log-in and password!
- Once the registration process is complete, you will have immediate access to the emergency substitute renewal application Form 8.
- Complete the application Form 8.
- If you want to keep a copy of your application form for your files, choose the print button at the bottom of the page.
- Choose the submit button at the bottom of the page when you are ready to submit. As soon as you submit, you will instantly receive a confirmation message on the computer screen that includes complete instructions on submitting the application fee
- To start the online application process, go to: https://online.ksde.org/authenticationpublic/
- Did you Apply online to Dodge City Public Schools? You must have an application with Dodge City Public Schools in order to serve in our schols.
First-time Emergency Substitute License - Emergency Substitute License Requirements.